What To Do Until Help Arrives (Fire & Smoke Damage)
In the event of a fire or smoke loss in your home, here are some tips you can follow to minimize damage:
1. Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
2. Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
3. Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
4. If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
5. Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
6. If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks, and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
7. Wash both sides of leaves on houseplants.
8. Change HVAC filter, but leave the system off until a trained professional can check the system.
9. Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
Final and easiest Tip:
Call SERVPRO of Buena Park at (714) 523-9119 to take care of the rest!